Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Odds and Ends. 9.24.2008

First of all… the thumb.  It’s been a frustrating morning.  We have never had a broken bone in this family. 

WE HAVE NEVER HAD A BROKEN BONE IN THIS FAMILY!

We have never had a broken bone in this family.  What a blessing.  Thank you Jesus, that our first broken bone is only a hair-line fracture on a thumb, on a left hand…

I was completely naive on orthopedics.  When the pediatrician’s office asked me this morning if I had a preference of a referral, I let her send him to the one that they have in their building.

Bad choice.

Bedside manner did not exist.

After hurting Zach worse than I have seen the whole ordeal, taking off the tape and splint… he left to look at the x-rays from last night.

He returned with a box of different splints.  He proceeded to get one that fit Zach’s thumb.  Tape it on.  And say. “There, that’s what he needs.  Come back in 2 weeks.”

Um… and????  What can he do?  What can’t he do?  Does he play? Does he not play?

“Oh, wear that for 3 weeks.  No sports or PE for 6 weeks.”

6 weeks?

Seemed like overkill to me.

I drove him back to the school.  I went to talk to some other parents in the cafeteria.  They thought it was over kill too.  I wondered earlier if I could get a second opinion.  Would my insurance cover it? 

I found out that other kids go to sport-ortho places and get casts that let them return to playing immediately.

Now, that may sound crazy.  If he had a broken leg, arm, head… okay… 6 weeks.

BUT, this is a hair-line, non-displaced, fracture, above his knuckle on his left hand. 

Does it make me a careless parent to think that that is overkill?

That’s okay if you think so.

I have made an appointment at another place to have it checked out again.

If they tell us 6 weeks, okay.  But, I highly have my doubts.

We will see.

************************************

Anonymous comment leaver “Melissa” is the winner of the second Point of Grace, How You Live CD!!  If you send me an e-mail with your address, Melissa, I will ship this to you!

Congratulations!!

I will be brain-storming about another contest, which you all can play, TARA, ;) Look for it soon!

************************************

Did you notice Kiahna’s cute little tu-tu, in the Wordless Wednesday post this morning?

DSC06807

I made this. 

I know, I know, my talent just amazes you.

PLEEEEEAAAASSSSSE!

This was so simple!  If you can cut and knot, you too can make this tu-tu.

I got the idea from my friend Dia over at Team Sawyer.  She made them for her girls.  She has a you-tube link on the post, that shows how these are made!  Thanks Dia!

Now, people have something else to comment on to Kiahna besides her hair!! 

DSC06804

********************************

This has just been a crazy day.  How can I explain this.  We live at point A.  The doctor’s office we use is at point B.  Point B is 10 miles from our house.  The school is at point C.  Point C is 10 miles from our house.  But Point B and Point C are in opposite directions.  So that makes them about 20 miles apart.

So this morning, to take Zach to the doctor.  I left home.  Drove to point B.  Then drove to point C.  Then drove back to Point A.  40 miles.

This afternoon.  Leah and Jadon have dentist appointments at Point B.  But, Leah needs picked up at Point C first.  40 miles.

Then Jadon has counseling while we are still at Point B.

Leah has tennis back at point C, that I could take her to… but that would add another 40 miles… I don’t think that is going to happen today.  Sorry Leah.

Did you catch all that?

If you see me… I’ll be the one spinning in circles later tonight.

But, I do have dinner in the crock pot.

********************************

THE END.

Pam

3 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

How in the world do you do it?!!!
I hope you like to drive.

Yea, the 6 wks thing does seem like over-kill. Glad you're getting a 2nd opinion.

LOVE the tu-tu. Such a cute little cheerleader :)

Mom24 said...

So glad you're getting a second opinion...I would call the pediatrician's office and let them know you weren't happy.

That skirt is too cute. I'm sure she loves it.

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

Sometimes our medical system makes me wonder...Yes, get a 2nd opinion.

Can I put in a request for which cd?
Just kidding!

Roger tells me that I should get a moped with a kart on the back. Very funny. (save gas!)