And this was her at pick up time…
“’Today was a difficult day.
Tomorrow will be better.’”
--Mr. Slinger in the book, Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse
I was surprised at her behavior, and yet I wasn’t. I have a very strong willed daughter. I also have a very good, quiet daughter. They are the same girl. Sometimes you just don’t know which you will get.
Today she scratched, threw crayons, stomped on the teachers foot, and sat most of the day in time out.
She was so happy and excited to go. I don’t understand.
The teachers were very patient and consistent with her. That is what she needs.
I hope that this gets better and that she stops this so she can continue to go to preschool.
We came home and got one of our library books out to read. It just happened to be Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse, with the exact phrase we needed to hear. Thanks for the book list 4evermom! I took the list to the library and got quite a few of your recommendations!
I’m really not a bad mom. I really don’t know why my daughter acts that way. I really don’t understand. I need wisdom and strength to know what to do.
Let me repeat my prayer from yesterday, the day before, and the day before, and the…
HELP ME JESUS, AMEN!
Pam
6 comments:
Oh Pam, that's too bad she didn't enjoy preschool! Maybe it's first day nerves...? Hope it goes better next time.
(She sure looks pretty cute, though!!)
One thing I know for certain--good or bad, how our children behave is not a reflection of how good a parent we are. I hope next time is a better day. You do the best you can, but there's no guarantees on how they're going to behave.
The preschool didn't say anything about her not coming back, did they? That would really be crazy so early in the year. It's great that you feel they handled things well. I'll keep you both (all) in my prayers.
Thanks for the linky love. You'll have to let me know what you think of the books. I love Lilly. Mr. Slinger too.
Hey Pam--first off, I wasn't trying to ignore you today at Walmart! :) My sister just picked up the phone and I was next up at the Pharmacy! I felt a little frazzled! :) Anyway...about Kiahna's first day of preschool--you'll both have a good laugh about 14 years from now when when she's all grown up at 18, and you'll be telling her about her first day of preschool when she scratched, threw crayons, stomped on the teachers foot, and sat most of the day in time out. Someday...it will be fun. You'll see. ;)
Vanessa
Oh sweet girl, a rough day.
You know, I find with my daughter whose experienced adoption that when she feels afraid and gets 'disregulated' (that's pyche speak for out of control). She acts out and is nasty in general. She is looking for 'punishment' it seems, but really she's frightened and looking for reaction of any kind. She subconsciously tries to pull everyone around her into her fear and anger. Anyway, we've had a lot of luck with 'time ins' instead of timeouts. I don't know if her teachers would be willing, but the idea is that instead of sitting by herself in time out, she would have to stay very close to one of them for a set period of time. I actually make my daughter stay in physical contact with me.
The child can actually be regulated by the adult's ability to regulate. I don't know if that makes any sense, or if it would work for Kiahna. I am not at all criticizing how they handled it, or how you do! It's just something that has worked for us.
anymommy, this sounds EXACTLY like Kiahna. This also sounds EXACTLY like I have learned (through trial and error) to deal with her. And this is EXACTLY how I told the preschool teacher that I deal with her. I am not sure how they did it with her yesterday for sure. I would be surprised if she stayed on a time out chair alone? But, hopefully she at least obeyed?? Slept well... looking for a brighter day! Thank you so much for reaffirming in my mind what I was thinking is correct! I am glad we "met" too!!
Sorry she had a tough day.... I know how hard it is as a mommy when things just don't go right... she sure is adorable....
Good luck! P.S Super blog!
Post a Comment