Monday, September 29, 2008

In search of peace

I get so many rare times alone.  I struggle to know what to do with myself when I get some.  I often end up some place lame like Wal-Mart.  Tonight I got one of those rare treats, and since I had already spent my alone time this morning at Wal-Mart ;)  That wasn’t an option.  I had thought of going to the school and watching the homecoming activities, taking pictures like a good bloggy mommy…  then it rained, and I don’t know.  I wanted coffee… but since our Starbucks closed, and all the local places shut their doors at 7… I could’ve went to a prayer room… but It was kind of late to get signed up….

I decided to stay home.  Enjoy the quiet.  It is an amazingly foreign sound to my ears.  I made a 1/2 pot of decaf.  Poured myself a cup with some French Vanilla Creamer… and walked out side.

I had many things on my mind that needed processed.  I had a counseling appointment late in the afternoon that left me with a variety of thoughts floating around.  It had rained this afternoon, the air was so fresh and clean after being dusty for so long.

I took my camera, and my coffee, and went walking…

DSC06958

DSC06965

DSC06967

It was getting dark as I decided to walk back into the woods…

DSC06968

DSC06973

Hoping to catch a deer, unaware… hoping to hear from God… hoping to feel His peace wrapped around me.

I got back near the back of the woods and sat on a rock.

Suddenly I had this thought.  Is it hunting season?

Oh, great, I hope it isn’t hunting season!

I thought, it wouldn’t be bad for me to die… but my poor parents, and children… don’t let me get shot by a hunter Lord! 

It had to have been less than a minute until I heard a gun shot.

Oh crap.

Then I heard quite a few more shots.

I knew they were not in this woods, but another nearby. 

I still announced loudly to the trees, and any hunter sitting in camo, 10 feet up, cursing me for walking in on this hunt, that I was not shooting material!

I quickly left the woods.  ;)

I went back into the house.  The smell of coffee met me… ahhh… another cup.

Went to sit outside, determined to grasp some more of this peace and quiet.

The phone rang.

It was my neighbor from behind (back toward the gunshots).

Wanted to know if I had heard the gun shots.

Um… yeah, I think I heard those.

Does anyone remember this post?  Back in the end of July when there was a cow loose in our woods?  In fact, the cow crossed my mind when I walked back there, I was hoping not to run into him.  Dory had just asked me this morning on the phone if he had ever been found.

They found the cow.

Kids aren’t back yet.  Think I’ll try to find that peace and quiet one more time…

Pam

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are such a good writer! By the way, it's not huntin' season yet, but it will be soon so be careful on your next walk for peace in the woods! Praying for your peace of mind! Love reading your blog! Take care and God bless you and all your beautiful children!

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

Oh my! It is deer season Pam! he he.
But if you think about it...maybe it was God finding some strange way to distract you. He can be weird that way!
I'm glad you didn't get shot! The pics are very cool! It's fun to catch some of our creators artwork on film so to speak.

Pam said...

Well, James informed me this morning that it is bow season, so I wouldn't have had the warning of a shot, I'd just be dead. Thanks son. I was pretty sure I saw some guys go past with orange hats on Saturday... I was wearing a nice shade of brown! AHHH!!!

Mom24 said...

So beautiful. Isn't it funny how we can sometimes crave the aloneness, yet I don't know what to do with myself one the rare occasions I get it.

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

You are such a cutie! I found your blog through a friend of mine. You make me laugh! :) I want to do the "mr. linky" thing, but I'm afraid I don't understand how to do it. Do I write a blog post first and then link to it?
Keep up the good work with the blog! :)

KC said...

the alone time on a rock in the woods sounds perfect.. if you could have took away the guy shots and the thought that you could be the next moving target.. eek..
Glad you had some nice time alone.

Pam said...

Joy, The way that Mr. Linky works. Enter your name, as you want it displayed on my blog, in the first box. In the second box copy and paste the url from your blog post of your moment. After you have created and posted a moment, click on the title. that will give you the exact url (in the address box at the top of your screen) for that post. so any time later that anyone wants to go back and read your post, it will take that person directly to the post and not just to your blog in general, where they will have to search for your "moment" post. Does that make any sense? Hope so, hope to see your post on here soon!!

SmilingsMyFavorite said...

Pam,
OH I get it! yes that makes sense! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. I've seen several blogs that have that feature and I had no clue how it worked.
You stay away from hunters, I'll stay away from filing cabinets.-We'll be good friends. :)

Anonymous said...

Stay out of the woods!

Pam said...

LOL!!!!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Pam,
When you emailed me and said you almost got shot in the woods I was sooo confused. Ah ha! Now it makes sense. :)

So glad you are safe and got to have a peaceful evening alone.

Loveya!