Welcome to week 25 of Your Gonna Miss This… Moment. If you have never joined us, it is time for you to step up and be blessed! It is a blessing to write about these times… even when we wonder if we will truly ever even miss them!!
I have a very special treat for you today… I’ve invited a guest to write this post… after making a comment, earlier this week about something he would miss, I thought it would be nice for him to write about it… and since he didn’t write about what he commented to me earlier, I guess I can ask him to do this again sometime! So without further ado… here’s my dad…
I’m writing a YGMTM from a unique perspective. You see, I’ve gone through the time where we raised our four wonderful daughters from babies to young mothers. I sure do miss the special moments we spent driving in my work van playing “riddly riddly ree”, or countless other moments of fun and frustration. What makes my perspective unique is those days are gone with my daughters, and I do miss them, but I’ve been given another opportunity with my grandkids. I actually have 5 times more opportunities to have YGMTMs with them because I have 5 times more grandkids. I am blessed beyond measure, but I know now more than ever how fleeting my time is with them.
So, that said, I will share one of my moments with them that I will surely miss the most. You see, I have found something out about me that I didn’t know 25 years ago. I have this “gift” to tell amazingly silly stories to wide-eyed young people that make absolutely no sense, have no purpose, but make us all laugh uncontrollably. I don’t mean to be proud because they really are pretty lame stories, like the one about the light bulbs that decided to fly away, or the cricket that wanted to be a grasshopper; for them, the sillier the better. Some of my grandkids are too old and I’m OK with that, but I’m sure gonna miss “Grandpa, tell me one of your stories….”
So I challenge you, give it a shot. Let you mind go, and spin a tale where fish can talk and light bulbs can fly. You never know, you may just be the best comedian your kids ever heard.
ps: I don’t think it’s the story we tell, I really think it’s the time we spend with them that they like the best. God Bless!
Alan
Thanks for writing that dad! Isn’t that great! Leave him a comment, won’t you?? Now, how about the rest of you? Won’t you join us this week? You can go back to this post and read the guidelines.
18 comments:
Pam,
it was great hearing from your daddy. He sounds like a wonderful grandpa and dad. You are blessed to have him!
Oh, how wonderful, Pat your father is so sweet. What a touching post. My husband drives my oldest in his work van and they play all kinds of cute games too.
Blessings.
I am so excited to be first on your carnival for three weeks in the row. I know I've mentioned it before, but it is my favorite carnival all week.
Oh my, how I enjoyed this post. What a wonderful dad the Lord blessed you with. What an awesome Grandpa the kids have been blessed with. I would really like to hear one of those great stories too. Does he think about the stories before he tells them, or just makes them up as he goes?
My kids would love that too!
oh! I miss my sweet Grandfather. He told us his very own "squeaky the squirrel" stories and made the best squirrel noise! oh, how right you are, and what an amazing grandpa you are. sweet
You guys are great! loving the comments so far!! I am pretty sure Mimi, that he makes them up as he goes!!
Hahaha vary funny Grandpa!!
Leah
P.S. the lightbulb story was only lame the third time you told it!!
That Alan...gotta love him!!
Great post!
What a great moment to share! I'm also blessed that my kids grandparents are a great part of their lives, and how wonderful to hear what they will miss!!! Thanks for sharing!
Your grandchildren and children are very, very lucky to have you in their lives. You're a great blessing to them.
Wow...what a wonderful father and grandfather.
You really are a great person, Alan. I knew you were from all Pam has said about you and all you and Mom have done for Pam and the kids. Wow...20 grandkids...and they all have your beautiful influence. I can tell from this post you are such a sweet, sweet man. I'm honored to know what of your beautiful offsprings and then her beautiful offsprings.
I'm sure the Lord will say, well done my good and faithful one. You have the power to influence so many just in your family and what an influence.
Thanks for doing this, Pam. It was a blessing. You are right, he has to write another one since he didn't share the original one with us. :-) Sorry, grandpa, but you're just gonna have to do it. :-)
My husband is silly like that telling stories. He's going to make a great grandpa. Very neat idea having your dad tell a story for us.
Great post...reminds me of my Grandopa who used to make up silly songs. So let your Dad know he is giving great YGMTM's to your kids as well.
I'll get my moment posted later today....crazy busy this morning.
wow what a great grandpa. sure glad he's mine.
colton
P.S. i like the ones with the characters stinky,dinky,winky,and thinky i am always thinky.
What a great post. You've got me crying because it makes me miss my dad! He is with Jesus now but he was a great story-teller and my children and he were very close. Grandparents make a huge impact on their grandchildren. More so then they know.
My kids are now 15 and 20, and I have many moments that I miss already from their younger years. But I am encouraged to cherish them now because someday, I'll miss these today moments too!
my husband just recently started telling stories to our children. Ones that are exactly as discribed here. I have found the my oldest son is telling my second son these silly stories as well. He also seems to tell this stories in his sleep. Tonight it was about crocodile.
I have fund doint this!!
That's awesome! I can hardly wait until I have 20 grandkids ... or 50 or so, as the case may be.
Laurel
mama of 13
i have tagged you...come on over to my blog to see what it is about!
Post a Comment