Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Recipe Fun: Saucy Chicken with Veggies and Rice

Day two of trying new recipes!  I am on page 16 of the Jan/Feb issue of Taste of Home's Simple and Delicious. This is a slow cooker recipe.

Lucas says… “another new recipe?”  Don’t you love the trust in his eyes!!  ;)

IMG_3146

Saucy Chicken with Veggies and Rice

exps40399_SD1440071D16

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups sliced celery
  • 3 cups sliced fresh carrots
  • 2 cups sliced onion
  • 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
  • Hot cooked rice

Directions:

Place the celery, carrots, onion and chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, soup mix, thyme, pepper and tarragon; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 170°.
    Mix cornstarch and wine until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.

Okay, now for my picture…

IMG_3144

Jadon loved it…onions and all!

IMG_3147

Kiahna gobbled it up… using her best table manners… ahem…

IMG_3148

The same child who was picking out her beans the night before, was picking out carrots with this recipe… I made her eat them though.  Meany that I am.

IMG_3150

James and Zach… they will eat anything.  Teenagers.  I don’t know that I could fill them up if I tried!

My opinion of this recipe.  Ehhh… It wasn’t bad.  It wasn’t great.  It didn’t have a lot of flavor to me.  Or maybe I am just not a fan of the flavor of onion soup mix?  I am thinking not.  I doubt I will make this one again. 

But, don’t let that stop you from trying it!  Only, I don’t know I would repeat the mistake of buying an expensive jar of a spice like tarragon, just for this recipe.  I should have done it without the first time.  If you want to borrow some of mine, I have plenty!  And a few pouches of onion soup mix, that I probably will never use up either.  Come and get ‘em!

Happy Cooking!

Pam

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just tell you are loving your new camera. We need to get together some time and learn more about them. I found out that a great camera still does not make a great photographer-phooey!

He & Me + 3 said...

I love that you are trying new recipes...and how nice that all of them were home to try it. Love the pictures too.

Quietspirit said...

Onion soup mix and sour cream make a nice dip for chips or veggies. Tarragon goes well in tuna or salmon salad. I also use it in my beef stroganoff which I make from ground beef