It's me, coming to your live! From my friend's laptop, which I am not sure I know how to run!!
Let me tell you, it was not small task to get here yesterday! The trip was made quite dangerous and interesting by the surprise snowfall/blizzard like conditions I drove into on my way to the airport!
You can check out my live (then) report on twitter on the sidebar.
If it isn't bad enough that the trip to the airport from my house takes a little over 2 hours, the snow began to fall, in near white out form, about 1/2 way there.
I left my house at 8 am.
My flight was at 11:20.
A little after 9 it began to snow.
I had in my mind that I would stop and buy a couple magazines and some gum for the trip at a Walmart. I pulled of, slipped on the off ramp, felt like this was NOT GOOD!! Pulled into the walmart, realized I had worn my favorite shoes with the crack in the bottom of them, got wet feet.... and then walked back out of walmart thinking, this is crazy! I need to get going! I am not going to make it in this weather if I don't move. Why am I here? I didn't even buy anything.
It wasn't 20 minutes after I got back on the road that the traffic stopped completely. Sirens were coming from all around. I was thinking, if only I hadn't stopped at that Walmart, I could have been ahead of this all... then I realized that the reality is that if I hadn't stopped at that Walmart, I could have very well been in that accident.
People were turning around to take different routes. I saw a jack-knifed semi and 3 cars off the road. After sitting for about 40 minutes, I finally got up in the line to turn around. But, I didn't know where to go! I was on the phone with mom, dad, and my bil, all trying to help me manuver my way through different roads to the air port. Calling the airlines to see about my flight.
After I realized that if I didn't make this flight I would be allowed, at no extra cost, on the next flight, I relaxed. I was still driving when my flight took off. That has never happened to me before.
I turned the radio, and found a station that was updating the weather conditions and the road conditions. The radio reported that the interstate I had been on was completely closed. That the wreck looked like "a tornado had went through" and "3 people were dead". Oh. My. I have been praying for those families.
You, know, you just never know do you?
So, I made it to the air port. Checked in. Ate lunch. Ate brownies. Bought a book and two magazines. Drank a Milky Way Latte. Relaxed.
By 7:30, my time, two lay overs, and 11 1/2 hours later, I arrived. Wondering how much longer driving all the way would have taken!!
Now I am feeling very thankful. Feeling very blessed. Feeling very prayerful.
Sounds like the kids are doing good at home. Pray for my parents! ;)
Love to you all,
Pam
11 comments:
Thankful you are safe Pam! God bless those families who lost loved ones. :o(
You never know why God allows us to be behind very slow drivers or forces us to take detours.
CRAZY!
Glad you made it!!
Whoa... that Walmart side trip sounds like a God-thing to me. You didn't even get anything? That gives me chill bumps. I'm glad you're safe..
Wow, I am glad you are safe and sound. isn't it funny how he places diversions in our path to prevent things from happening to us. HE is such a wonderful protector. Be safe! Erin
Can I come? LOL Have fun times with Dorie:)
Wherever you're at, have fun!!
LORI
Oh, Pam, I'm so glad you made it fine. What a trip!
That milky way latte sounds yummy.
On a heavier note, I'm so sorry for the others who didn't make it.
Yay...what blessings in delays. Thank the Lord you did stop at Walmart to buy nothing but to get your feet wet. :-)
You just never know...that's for sure.
Hope you are warm down there. Still freezing here. But it will be 60s this Sun-Mon-Tue. So, make sure you ensure you do indeed bring back that warm weather. I looked over all the snow and white here and thought, it's going to be months before we see the ground and the white disappears.
Love,
P
I am so glad that you made it safe. Have a great time and enjoy yourself. Be safe coming home!
I hope you have a wonderful time. Glad you're safe and sound.
Enjoy your escape!
So glad you finally made it! I saw pics on the internet of the accident on 69 and you were very fortunate to have not been farther ahead of where you were!! I was praying while you were texting!! Have fun...
Post a Comment