Monday, March 9, 2009

Blogoversary GIVEAWAY #2! Cookbook

This is the week of my blogoversary! March 13, it will be one year since I began this blog! I am looking forward to a fun week. I posted my first giveaway on Saturday.

Did you already sign up for my Beth Moore GIVEAWAY!? Don’t miss out on this one!! I have 6 Beth Moore items to give away to 6 lucky winners! You can sign up 4 different ways to up your chances of winning!!

I’ve decided to continue giving away more prizes all week! I am choosing more things near and dear to my heart to give to you, my dear blogging friends!

Quite honestly, I’ve been given so much from all of you reading, commenting, and praying with me through this blog. I don’t feel like I can do enough to celebrate with you!!

My second giveaway for the week is a new cookbook, by a wonderful lady, Dawn Hall. Super-Simple 30-Minute Meals 30min_lgis newly released! We had a chance to be served a variety of recipes from this book (and some of her others) on Saturday.

Super-Simple 30-Minute Meals is a lo-fat, healthy, (but, she says, not healthy enough to be sold in a health food store) with great ideas for helping lo-fat items taste better (like cheese and salad dressing) And the awesome thing about this book is that it has the whole meal there together! Main dish, salad or vegetable. Also included is a grocery list! Now, does this not sound like something that I could totally use!

Let’s not discount the fact that they are supposed to be done in 30 realistic minutes! She was hilarious as she described all the other things you could get done while cooking, yelling at the kids to get their homework done, etc… Did she take a peek into my house at 4:30 one day to get that info!?!

Not only does Dawn have great cookbooks. (she has many more, look at her website. She also has an incredible testimony. She is very real. And she even commented that if she could be up there telling her story, anyone could. I got that feel from her. She was totally relying on God to be up there.

Her story is complex but in a nutshell she described to us that she is an ADHD person. That she married her HSSH. And that at 32 he was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a baseball. After 9 years of fighting the cancer, getting experimental treatments, fighting the government for the experimental treatments. Her husband died, cancer free, with radiation tumors.

Then she married another man. He was abusive and had mental illness. Her description of the 4 years she was married to him was heart wrenching. Especially when you can relate. I knew someone very well who was married for 10 years to a man just like Dawn described.

Now, she began dating another man. He is a single dad of 4 kids. A month after they started dating. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a baseball! UNBELIVEABLE!

Dawn gave all her proceeds from Saturday’s speaking engagement to his man and his family. She is showing him God’s love. He is a Christian, a wounded one. God has a plan.

Dawn said, who knew when I was fighting for that experimental treatment that it would one day effect someone else that I love.

So, I’ve purchased one of these books to give away to one of you. I also purchased Dawn’s personal testimony book Comfort Food for Your Soul, Feeling God's Care When Life Gets You Down. I am looking forward to reading that one.

To be qualified for this giveaway you need to leave a comment on this post. In the comment I’d like to hear from you something about cooking… love it. hate it. tolerate it. horrible at it. gourmet. Tell us how you and cooking get along!

And again. If you post about this giveaway, or any of the other give-aways,this week on your own blog, leave a comment telling me that you did and you will be qualified twice to win this prize! See how mommaof4wife2r, Grace, & Bonnie all told about my contest on their blogs! They can automatically sign up twice for this one!! THANKS!

TO BE QUALIFIED TWICE YOU NEED TO LEAVE TWO COMMENTS!! AND ONE MUST BE TO TELL ME THAT YOU WROTE ABOUT MY GIVEAWAYS ON YOUR BLOG!

Winners will be chosen on Friday, March 13!

Good Luck, and be blessed! And don’t forget to come back to see what else I give away this week!

Pam

Don’t forget about the Beth Moore GIVEAWAY! TOO!

55 comments:

Laurel said...

I love to cook for company, but I politely share the daily chore of cooking with my kids. :)

I love to grind my own wheat and bake my own bread, but don't make the time for it very often.

I love to make deep dish apple/blueberry pies ... mainly because my husband loves to eat them, and I love to take care of my husband.

I love to make fancy desserts and am always looking for new recipes to try.

I don't love to pick berries and make jam ... but I love to eat homemade jam and feed it to my family every day. (We put up 120 quarts this year.)

And ... I LOVE reading your blog and entering your give-a-ways.

Happy Bloggversary!!!


Laurel :)

CntryMomma said...

I was not taught to cook growing up so learning on my own has been a long slow work in progress.

My favorite thing to make is Lasagna but it takes so stinkin' long, I don't do it as often as I should.

Oh, and I'm a mess when I cook too. I'm a mess and I make a mess. ;o)

LORI

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Sounds like a wonderful cookbook from an amazing women.

I love to cook, but hate to clean up afterwards. I love trying new things and get so much satisfaction when people enjoy what I have made.

I have a few picky eaters at home so I am always looking for new tricks.

I hope you will let us know how her other book was, it sounds so great.

Gayle said...

I hate cooking. I don't know how to and when I follow the recipe it usually ends up tasting very bad. I lied and said "when I have a dishwasher I will cook more". That hasn't happened. Oh, and I burn myself every single time I cook. I'm an idiot in the kitchen. What do my five children do? They eat a lot of cereal and dad cooks when he can. On the flip side, my kids are never sick so maybe all the chemicals in the cereal keeps them strong! :) lol

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I tolerate cooking. I tend to get in a rut, although my family is not too interested in variety.

Happy one year anniversary.

Carol said...

Cooking...well for me that's a no-brainer. I really enjoy it. That's a good thing considering I have five kids and my husband to make meals for. I especially love to bake, not so good for my hips, though.

The cookbook you're giving away sounds fabulous. Thanks again Pam.

Carol said...

Pam,

I left some serious bloggy love for you over at my blog.

thanks and hugs,
Carol

Susie said...

Hi Pam,
I love to cook I just don't like the clean-up! In the last 2 years I have learned to make some minor adjustments to make my food healthier for all involved so I would love to be the recipient of your cookbook it looks fun!
Suz

Kiesha said...

I hated cooking and really stayed away from it until I met my husband. And he loves good food so I began trying recipes for him. But I still hated it.

Now that we are married and have two kids, I still don't like it and get really stressed out if I am cooking something for the first time.

It's a good thing my hubby loves to cook and is so good at it. He says it relaxes him, so I tell him he can go cook and I will go take a bubble bath. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for about a month now and really enjoy it. I also added your Twitter page. I'm just learning how to cook since I moved away from home for college. I've found I'm pretty good at making desserts and now my family demands Chocolate Sheet Cake and Blackberry Cobbler whenever I'm home (I got those recipes off of the Pioneer Woman's website: http://thepioneerwoman.com/). I'm just trying to add a lot of recipes to my repertoire and incorporate fresh, healthy foods into my daily diet. My favorite type of food is sushi, which I hope to make someday and my favorite ingredients for which I'll try almost any recipe that include them are corn and sweet potatoes. I make the Mimi's Cafe corn chowder recipe when it's cold outside and it is a tasty, filling comfort food (but not light on the calories). Here's the link to the recipe if you want to try it: http://www.recipezaar.com/Corn-Chowder-from-Mimis-Cafe-320214. :)

Janel said...

I love to cook!! I'm usually not afraid to try anything (not saying that it always turns out, but I aint scared:)But I tend to get in ruts...so this would be awesome to get new ideas!! Thanks again for a great giveaway!!

Anonymous said...

I am just learning how to cook for my family...but I am really starting to enjoy it.

McCrakensx4 said...

I am not a cooker...Hehe! I do it cuz I have to, so I love the idea of winning a cook book that has lots of 30 minute, and easy, recipes! Thanks for the give away and congratulations Pam!

He & Me + 3 said...

I hate to cook, so this would be perfect for me. 30 minutes I could do. Hee hee

Susie said...

Hi Pam here is comment #2. You are officially on my blog! I told them to check out your contest!
Suz

Jenna said...

This is so fun! One 18 month old, a one week old, and 30 minute meals sound great!

Amy said...

I really like to cook, but don't make enough time to get "down and dirty" with my kitchen the way I would like to.
Hence, there are many homemade items in my fridge, but very few gourmet. Some day.

Jennifer said...

I don't care to much for cooking really, but I do love to grill! I'm definetly always looking for quick and easy recipes though, so this book sounds right up my alley!

By the way, sorry I haven't been commenting much, but I always think about you! I guess I picked a good day to come visit, because I love giveaways!!

Anonymous said...

HI Pam --Just an FYI I'm still working on the question to ask for another entry to your contest. Do your kids read your blog? Are you getting scared? (ha ha) Have a great day!!! love--julie l :)

B said...

I absolutely LOVE to cook I just have a hard time doing it with 4 little ones running around.

I have been known to start a batch of chili and then think we need fresh buns to go with it and a dessert etc etc. At this point my husband just sighs and walks away..lol.

But I am a busy Mom running my oldest to sports events and next year the three almost 4 yr olds will be in something too so I would LOVE This cookbook.

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B said...

Here is the post on my blog announcing a second give a way...

http://wheredidthisallcomefrom.blogspot.com/2009/03/another-give-way.html

Happy One Year Blogoverary!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Pam, love your blog, I feel like I know you personally. I'm the mom of one of your blogger friends. I don't like to cook, I did cook every night when my kids were growing up, so maybe I'm just burnt out. As a Christmas gift my husband is cooking every Thurs. for a year, I'm loving it!

Anonymous said...

Pam, I left a comment but had to do it annon. I'll have to have J, my daughter show me how to do it differently.

Pam said...

Anonymous! If you want to e-mail me, or write your name on the comment I need to be able to find you if you win!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the "blogiversary"!!

I LOVE TO COOK!!! My problem is running out of different things to cook. I feel like I get into cooking "ruts", where I am cooking the same meals over and over. I would love to win this cookbook---hopefully it would give me some new recipes!

luv4alina@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
I love to cook, and wish I could do it more - it's rewarding to feed a hungry crew (especially when they like the new recipes I try...which doesn't always happen!)

Each night, a different child takes a turn helping me make supper - which provides some great 1 on 1 time with that kid, and teaches them how to cook! We have found this to be a real blessing - it also gives each kid the opportunity to feel that they helped provide for the family.

I LOVE cookbooks - this one sounds great!

Love ya,
Bekah Brooks
bekahrosemounsey@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

This book sounds great...a person can never have too many cookbooks! I love to cook and love to browse for new recipes. I'd be so excited to win this cookbook.

Jessica (T)

Danyele Easterhaus said...

comfort food...coffee and a doughnut or chocolate or dumplins...wow, now i'm hungry!

Paula V said...

I tolerate cooking. Of course, it is difficult to cook for one as I make sure the leftovers do well with be frozen. I'm the kind of gal typically that if it ain't in my head, it ain't gonna be cooked...at least at this stage in my life. When cooking for two, I would adventure into cookbooks and try new things as I was cooking every day. Now I cook one or twice a week and eat it all week...sad and pathetic.

I'm all for things I can memorize and not rely on a cookbook after it's said and done. Low-fat is great and 30 minutes is great.

How awful for this woman who's endured so much...so much illness coming to her...but God's used it for sure.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Great giveaway!!

My idea of cooking is calling Dominoes, pulling something out of the freezer or not eating at all. ;) Okay, slight exaggeration...

This cookbook would be very helpful!! ;)

sarah.flyingkites said...

Comment #2

I'm advertising both of your giveaways on my Blog (Top right hand margin)

Thanks Pam!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam, this is annon. again, my name is Nancy.

Sheryl said...

ok...here i am!!

i love to cook. since being sick it's one of the things i miss most. 30 minute meals would be perfect.

what an incredible story the author has to tell. might have to buy her other book.

SarahJeanie said...

I love to cook! My brand new oven has been broken since December 5th and FINALLY got replaced 2 weeks ago! So, I'm on the hunt for new recipes to try now that I have a functioning oven! This book looks great!

Mom24 said...

I love to cook, but I've definitely had my what? everyday? moments. :-)

I agree, the key is a good meal plan and a trip to the grocery store. If either of those things gets thrown off, it's hard to rebound.

Sissy said...

Enjoying your blog..

kellybollman said...

Totally enjoy cooking in the moment. It's now 5:05 PM and uh... I forgot what I thought I might make tonight... ummmmmmm
I think I should have defrosted some chicken before now. bummer

I really love baking!!!

Jodi said...

Anonymous is my mama :) And, no, I do not like to cook. Too many picky kids (and husband) in my house! But I'll sure try to like cooking if I win this book!

Jodi said...

#2 -- And once again, posted about this on my blog.

Amy said...

Yeehaw I linked!! Sign me up #2!!

Erin said...

I love to cook, but I get in ruts so often!! If I’m able to plan out a week of menus, it feels great…but that doesn’t always happen. I have definitely done my share of “cajun cooking” (aka: burnt!) and have served many “once in a lifetime dishes” (a total flop, never will try again!) This cookbook sounds awesome, Pam!

Alicia said...

So fun to do Giveaways for your Blogiversary! Love it!

The #1 issue I have with cooking is that I must have a recipe. I don't want to be told how to eyeball something. If I have the recipe, I'm good to go.

Tami said...

I flip-flop on the cooking thing. I hate it, then I don't mind it for awhile. Honestly, it would be better if I didn't have to do it every day. That, and if everybody would just agree that whatever I want is what they want also!

Rhonda said...

I hate deciding what to cook. But, I do enjoy serving my family a meal that they enjoy. I like making their favourites.

Lking said...

I am really big on cookbooks, all kinds. I am vegan and have figured out how to adapt most recipes. So a new cookbook would be great.
So am I signed up?
Check my bloy: momlk.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

this is my second entry for blogging about the give away...thanks

Quietspirit said...

I enjoy cooking especially for people who enjoy eating. I think I'm a decent cook. I've had to do more cooking for more people recently than I am used to. However, I hate cleaning up but hate cooking in a messy kitchen even more. So sometimes my meals now days take longer since I am living with my daughter & her family and have to clean before I can cook. Why do teenager today have to be told/reminded to do their job every day. I thought when you gave someone a job they were just supposed to do without being told.

Anonymous said...

Sherri

Anonymous said...

Cooking?? Cooking??
I have a love hate relationship with cooking.. I hate the demands of daily cooking. Didn't I just feed you guys yesterday?? I do enjoy good tasting food. So I tend to get sick of the same thing over and over again. I am not afraid to find and try new recipes. AND I do enjoy the creative side of planning a meal and trying new meals. BUT the daily...time restraints of gotta get the kids fed before we run off to soccer. Whats for dinner etc.. Not my strong point. My joke was if it takes longer to prepare than it does to eat.. Then.. Lets go out to eat. Right now it is 5:20 we just got home from running all day. I really should of thought of something earlier..Then the added restraints of a child with food allergies. Which means changing or eliminating half of my normal standby recipes
I guess it's green eggs and ham (Scrambled eggs and turkey bacon)for dinner. I have learned to name the mundane things my child with food allergies can eat. They think it is a treat. Me I get to grab chips and salsa after the meeting!!

Liz said...

I unashamedly hate to cook. In 2006, I decided my new year's resolution was to cook! So I did, diligently every day until 3 or 4 months into the year, when I became pregnant...and was too sick and tired to cook. Thank you God for that grace.. Seriously though, my kids have some rather serious and unknown food issues so not only am I forced to cook *everything* from scratch, I'm also having to learn about all this new-age foods like amaranth and quinoa... I hate it, but I do it for the kids (and for the hope that they'll cook for me when they're old enough.)

Grace said...

Wow... I've had a busy week... keep forgetting to come and sign up for more giveaways... And then I read you've used my post as an example... how cool is that?

I'm amazed by the cookbook author's story... unbelievable!

Grace said...

So I just blogged again about your blogoverary... and the cool cookbook giveaway...

Grace said...

Forgot to give the link... oops

http://doingthemathcountingmyblessings.blogspot.com/2009/03/its-night-before-blogoversary.html

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Thanks for always making me smile! :) Marla in KY

marlag1970@yahoo.com