Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A girl of many faces…

So, Leah FINALLY got to have her birthday party with her friends.  Kiahna told me, as I was making another cake for Leah, “it’s AllllWAaaYS Leeeeah’s biiirthday” 

Guess it seems that way when you are 4, and just learned that your birthday is in August, and you have no comprehension of when that is!  Sorry, baby, telling us all repeatedly you are 5 and that it is now August, does not make it so…

IMG_1847

Miss K and Mr J were not invited to the big girl bash! 

I picked up Leah and her five friends, myself and another mom, took them to the big city, to an outside, covered, ice skating rink!  This has become a tradition for Leah’s birthday.  Not sure how many years now, at least 5? 

Last week we had to postpone the party, the ice rink wasn’t even open with the wind chills being well below zero. 

This was cold enough!  I can’t imagine how cold it would have been last week! 

IMG_1959

IMG_1960

IMG_1961

After a couple hours of skating, we took them to Coney Island.  I had never been there, and it was a cultural experience, for sure!  A 95 year old tradition… and I never heard of it?  Why?

IMG_1988

Coney Dogs, Coke in a bottle… and I am sure the only restaurant left in town to not take plastic, oh and local checks only (good thing they thought I was local enough!!)

So after we got home, she opened the gifts the girls brought her… I got the biggest laughs out of some of the faces she was making as she opened them!  I got some great shots of her!

IMG_1994

IMG_2013

IMG_2021

IMG_2022

IMG_2026

And to show all her gifts, holding her alarm clock, her polka dot bag, polka dot robe, polka dot blanket, and striped hat, gloves, and scarf!

IMG_2036

IMG_2038

And yes I made cake… maybe I can make it look really impressive by some creative photography…

IMG_2049

Humor me, and pretend you see that this is an ice skating pond with her name on it… and that that curly-q I tried to put on the end of her name doesn’t look like an extra “e”…

okay? uh-huh…

IMG_2051

She was happy… that’s all that matters.  ;)

Pam

PS.  I wrote a new post called, “The Sunrise” over on my testimony blog "Standing"

14 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

This looks so fun!!! I bet she had a blast. Love the gifts...I'm sure I could borrow a few of those :)

BTW, the cake looks really cute :)

I hear Zach won last night! We were at a meeting with your dad and he said you were texting him every quarter. Hilarious! He was pretty subtle about it...didn't even notice!

Have a good one...

Katarina said...

It looks like she had a fantastic time!!

Katarina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
He & Me + 3 said...

She got some pretty nice gifts...love all the polka dot stuff. Totally me. What a fun idea too for her birthday. Love that it has become a tradition. The cake was cute too.

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

YOu have two blogs! Bless you girl! I can't keep up with one!

Great shots of Leah! Looks like you had a great time!

Mom24 said...

Polka dots are so fun. Look at that beautiful smile. You're doing good. :)

Carol said...

Now, girlfriend, you know I am with you on the whole "after the actual birthday" parties. If I do say so myself, you and I pulled it off quite well, thank you very much!

Seriously, what a blast to go to an ice skating rink with a bunch of girlfriends. It looks like she was blessed. You did wonderfully. I definitely saw the ice skating rink on the cake and didn't even notice that extra "e" until you pointed it out.

Talk soon. Hugs!!

More Than Words said...

Oh, how fun!!!!!! My daughter will be turning 12 in May, and she loves ice skating!!!

Looks like a fun filled day with the perfect ending!!!!

The cake looks yummy too!!

Venus said...

how fun and the cake was cute too!

Sheryl said...

Looks like a great time! And I think you did alright on that cake. The silver platter sure helped. ha

And I love K's questions about birthdays - too cute!

Heading over to read the post on your other blog right now.

Ryan.Kendra.Makenzie.Tracker said...

That girl of yours is far to beautiful for being 12! hehe- That looks like the best party with all her friends. What a great Mom you are for giving her that! I love her poses- she must have the best personality!

Gayle said...

My Emily (9) loves polka dots and that's how we'll do her room. If she ever has one. The girls looked like they had a lot of fun. You know, the little ones here (down to age 8) have their hockey games outside in an uncovered rink , and they don't cancel the games until -20 (we don't count the wind chill). I'm glad you had a warmer day for your party. I wish we could "drive to the big city" for fun like that. It gets so hard to think of something new to do...

Beth in NC said...

Very sweet! What a good Mommy!!

anymommy said...

So cute. I want to do all that on my next birthday!!