Thursday, April 2, 2009

You asked about our meals?

Okay, maybe you didn’t ask! But, Tonia did!  So, I’m gonna answer!  Here is Tonia's question…

“How did you and your sister plan meals for a trip where you have to drive so much? I don't know where you live, or where you were going, which shore that is, but you stated you stay overnight at hotel so how do you pack food for that many? What did you make? How did it work out?”

Let me start by saying that we have had lots of practice at doing this!  And that my sister is the organizational-savvy one!  She planned the meals.  She had the list.  I just did what I was told.  (Yes, I am older, Yes, I am okay with that!)  (My third sister does the organizing when we go to the lake for a week in the summer, now what is an amazing accomplishment!)

On the way down, we had lots of snacks along.  I had done that part.  Purchasd lots of different snack items and split the bags up into baggies.  Each van (3) had a nice variety of snacks to pick from.  We stopped at gas stations with fast food in them and got some sandwiches a few times.  We drove 10 hours to south of Atlanta & stopped for the night.  Woke up and drove the remaining 8 hours on Friday morning.  We had a cheap hotel with a pool that night, but in Tampa, about 45 minutes from the beach. 

We ate out that first night before we got to the condo.  Us eating out…

IMG_4951
We ate at a restaurant called Stingrays (used to be Shells).  Family oriented seafood!  What a crew, huh!?  Ever the seafood lover… Leah and I split the grilled chicken dinner.

Hallie got a drink called a shark bite… (see the shark in the glass?)

IMG_4954

Jadon didn’t…

IMG_4955

On Saturday we got up and ate out again.  Then Lana & I with my two girls went to Walmart.  The rest of the crew packed up the hotel rooms and headed for the condos.

I had purchased our meat at home.  Mom & Dad have one of those plug in coolers so the meat stayed nice and frozen. 

At Walmart we had our list that Lana had created, and we took a couple hours (and a couple temper tantrums) and filled 3 carts with groceries!!  It’s an amazing site for sure!  I did take some pictures with my cell phone, but they were awful. 

Our meals were…

*sloppy joes, homeade fries

*hamburgers, mac & cheese

*steaks, loaded baked potatoes

*taco & fajitas with fresh guacamole

*chicken & rice.

*brats, mac & cheese

*fresh fish, fried potatoes.

Always a fresh salad, fruit, & DESSERT!

Dad, Ben, & Colton went on a fishing charter one day and that is where we got the fresh fish.  After much prompting I took a bite.  Guess what?  Fish still has a texture I don’t like.  Oh well… there was still plenty of dessert for me to enjoy (along with potatoes, salad, & melon of course)  (see what I mean about that 20 lbs)

Those who enjoy fish… enjoying fish…

IMG_5399

IMG_5404

IMG_5403

They actually grilled the fish you see them eating.  Then dad fried the rest.  Don’t ask me how it is done.  :)

Desserts were lots of ice cream, brownies, cheesecake (we bought at the deli @ Walmart), Lana made her homemade Key Lime Pie & Strawberry Pie.  I made Coffee Ice Cream Pie & Banana Split pie… ummm!!!

Did you know that Starbucks is now making a Carmel Macchiato flavor ice cream… ummm… put a scoop on a brownie… your coffee won’t need any cream!

We also had nice hot breakfasts, eggs, potatoes, biscuits & gravy, pancakes, sausage, bacon… fruit.

DSC01413

We learned something on this trip.  Seems that Walmart’s everywhere get their fruit all at the same place.  I was very disappointed with the quality of the fruit we got at Walmart in Florida…

DSC01417

eeeewwwww…. if only you knew how bad those kids wanted to eat those peaches, and how many times we told them no they weren’t ripe yet… then they looked like that when we opened them!! YUCK!

This is the inside of a papaya…

DSC01421 

Neat to see the star shape inside, but again very poor quality from Walmart.

The fruit salad was still very yummy in the end though…

DSC01416

Ben & Lana bought a Coconut at Publix, when they went back for a few more things… James had been joking about wanting to climb a certain coconut tree outside the condo and see what a coconut was like… this seemed the better option.

We didn’t think they’d be able to open it without a drill or saw… but two very determined boys, Zach & Colton got it done!

DSC01422

DSC01425

I am not sure anyone tasted it… I did though!  It didn’t have much flavor.

Guys grilling…

DSC01836

DSC01835

DSC01838

Our lunches were a variety of cold meats, cheeses, fruits, chips… same thing each day, make your own…

And then clean up… we went by age and 2 kids at a time took turns cleaning up…

DSC01849

Brilliant idea!! 

Some fun ice cream shots yet…

DSC01585

DSC01588

‘Well Tonia, I think it worked out really well!!  If we could get someone to actually cook for us yet, we’d really have it made!!!  :)

Pam

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

now i'm tired! goodness, so much work into feeding people :) looks like you guys have it down to a science. eating in always saves SO much money!

great photos too.

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow...that was a production in itself, but whatever works. YOu all did a great job on the meal planning. I am impressed!

Tonia said...

Wow, I need a nap just from reading it and thinking about having to do it!! You and sister must have an awesome relationship, that is awesome! I am super impressed, and to think of the amount of money you saved from not eating out! Just for the eight of us to go to an average restaurant for a meal it's well over 100 each time, and you don't get the fruits and yummy homemade pies!!

It looks like you guys had an awesome time.....enjoyed one another and ate well!! And I am with you on the fish......Blah! But the rest of them fish for it and eat it also!!
Much love to you sister :O)

Amy B said...

Wow that food looks wonderful. And the nice thing was you knew what you were getting and you knew it was fresh ...and good. Can you come and help me plan our meals? LOL

Gayle said...

Everyone is smiling and you rave about the trip. As much as I love family I'm thinking way too many people, too much noise and too much planning! Eeek! Oh, and I hate cooking. You ate better at that condo than we do at home! :) I want to vacation with you!