We live in a small town. Sound Like John Cougar? I hear it in my mind. That describes me. “I was born in a small town….” come on sing along… If your over 30, I know you know this…
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities
All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity
Educated in a small town
Taught the fear of Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me
But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me
No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be
Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me
Well I was born in a small town
And I can breath in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me
So, I did a google search. Our county has 33,849 people. 44% urban and 56% rural. We are in the rural. This was this morning from my house.
So, it’s been a big week here in this Midwestern small town. The county 4-H fair just ended last night, and another big celebration begins today, celebrating out Swiss Heritage.
In the smallest of towns in our county is where I went to school. Where my kids are now going to school. Population 734. One gas station. A couple businesses. A factory or two. Awesome baseball facilities! And the school.
One of the businesses is celebrating 60 years of selling Bridgestone/Firestone tires. To celebrate they brought the Christian Group Phillips Craig & Dean to town for a free concert!!
We went!
Packed out gymnasium… they say it holds 2000… I am guessing it was close. At least from the temperature in there!!
We stood in line for autographs… much to my kids dismay. They just don’t understand that things like this don’t happen here every day!
My favorite song they sang last night was Amazed. I can’t find that one to play for you. This is the one that they didn’t play last night that Leah wished they had…
It’s her (our) prayer for her dad.
Other songs they sing…
Friend of God, Mercy Came Running, You Are God Alone, Crucified with Christ, Your Name, Saved the Day.
It was just pretty great!! Thanks Zurcher Tire for celebrating in this way! Be Blessed!
Pam
4 comments:
I had no clue all of that just went on. I guess I live in my own smaller town, I didn't go to the fair and I can't go to Swiss Days. Oh well, I did get fairly acquainted with the ball diamonds this year. I love our towns.
That's so great, Pam! Klint was at the fair last night and caught wind of the concert. He was sooo bummed he didn't hear about it earlier! Great song...
I agree Pam, it was great...minus the temperature. I'm glad you could go and enjoy it with your kids.
That is really neat. You make me yearn for small town way of life. (I LOVE that song, BTW) I also love 'You're Gonna Miss This' I think that's what drew me to your blog! :-) I'm glad you had such a good night. You prompted me to search out statistics on my town. We have a pop. of 11,500. There are 10,000 kids in the school system however, since it also encompasses part of the large city we are next to. We aren't rural at all, just a basic small suburb of a much larger area.
Beautiful post.
Post a Comment