Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wedding Photographer??

May I quote myself in my Family Christmas Letter sent out just last month??

“If you are interested in having photographs done in the coming year for anything that is NOT a wedding (nope don’t do weddings!!)  I would be so excited to be of service!”

Apparently someone out there didn’t get my Christmas letter.  I got a call early this week about  photographing a wedding.

Actually, I am pretty sure I hear God laughing one of those throw your head back laughs right about now… I think He loves to surprise us with opportunities that He knows we would never (did you see that “NOT” it was all caps in my Christmas letter too!) pursue on our own.

The bride’s mother who called me told me she really felt that God had told her to call me, & the bride saw my work and said “this is the one”…

I am waiting for God to tell me personally, but so far I don’t think He has gained control of his delightful laughter to do so.

I confess, I’ve spent the last few days completely freaking myself out by researching wedding photography & going through all the reasons why this wouldn’t work.

Then I decide to throw caution to the wind and just go for it.

Then I analyze a little more.

The bride seems pretty laid back, although I have never met her in person.

It’s all a little suspicious if you ask me.

Would you stop laughing. 

Pray for me.  I am going crazy with doubts & fears & what ifs.  I think I may be crazy enough to actually do this.

Crazy.

Pam

11 comments:

Candace said...

Hi Pam... I am a long time reader, and rare commenter, but I just ready your post. You can do it! I am not a professional photographer, but I have been doing weddings for about 10 years now. It is a huge job, and I won't lie to you... you will be tired by the end of the day, but it is so much fun. I love it! I wish I could conjure up some more jobs! The one piece of advice that I can give you is... when doing the wedding, if the bride and groom are not planning on seeing eachother before the wedding... do not let them get away without doing their "together" shots! I know this sounds like a stupid reminder, but honestly... I have had several couples, who would say... 'oh, we will do more pics after the reception', or 'We can do those when we get to the reception hall', or... the parents come in and try to rush things... and they have not gotten done(only once since I have been doing weddings... but once was enough for me!), and the only ones that could be blamed were the bride and groom. So... I always suggest to anyone that has not done a wedding, after the ceremony, set aside at least 20-30 minutes for extra pics and always start with the bride and groom... then do the family, then the bridal party, and then, if you have a few extra minutes... do a few more of just the bride and groom.

Good luck, and I know you will do great! Can't wait to read all about it!

PS: Hope this wasn't too pushy of me to volunteer this much info! :) Love your blog! :)

Laurel said...

I'm sure my oldest daughter would love to chat with you. She has done a LOT of weddings in the last year or two, and she LOVES doing them.

Don't be scared. You can do it.

mama of many :)

Carol said...

Go for it, Pam! God knows you can even in His almighty laughter.

So happy for you. :-)

Tara Steffen Fotos said...

I'll pray for you! When's the wedding?

You'll do great! Just take like 1000 pictures and you'll get some great oneS!

B said...

I agree with the others. Go for it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. Kind of scary to know how priceless those pictures are, but I have faith in you. I would be more than willing to come too and help since you can't be everywhere at once. Lighting is going to be the huge factor here. Try to scope everything out ahead of time and practice in that lighting condition. Have plenty of batteries and memory cards and keep shooting.

Mom24 said...

Woohoo! He's not laughing, you'll be great! Congrats.

He & Me + 3 said...

YOu will do great. Go to the church before hand and shoot in the lighting to get it right. Take the girls with you as models. I love your photos and editing too. It will be beautiful!

robin said...

That is awesome! Sometimes the Lord puts us in that uncomfortable place, out of our comfort zone, so we can do some growing (as if you didn't know that). I love your photos - you can do it! :o) Check out greenweddingshoes.blogspot.com

Robin

Paula V said...

Awesome. I have NOOOOOO doubt whatsoever in you. But then isn't it we (ourselves) who have the doubt in ourselves. For me it's called low self-esteem.

I don't think anyone has to tell you to take 1000s of pictures. You are a pro at that. I know what you have stored on your external hard drive. :-) hehe

By the way, I didn't get one of them there Cmas letters so I didn't know you had made such a loud profession of no weddings. I'm guessing the local post office is really enjoying your Cmas card and Cmas letter about now. Or maybe they send all the mail of "I don't know where to send this" into outerspace.

Taylor said...

Hi Pam- reader/lurker here. Just wanted to say that I know you'll do beautifully. God has a funny, funny way of pushing us right out of our comfort zone and into the things that we specifically said we would never ever want to do. I am sooo living this very thing right now, just with different specifics. This just might be some new amazing avenue of blessings for you!