“I may have to “start my own group”
“Our group isn’t active”
“Our group is for international adoption”
“I’ll make some calls and try to find the support you need”
“I understand”
“I’ll pray”
I feel like the bleeding person in need of a surgeon who must start the hospital to received the support that is needed.
I love my online support, you guys are such a blessing to me, I can’t imagine not having you! I wish, I wish, I wish, we all could meet in person and talk.
The comments were good on my post yesterday. Thank you if you commented!
To answer some of the questions from the comments…
**My children were both adopted at birth from the US.
**I did not set out to adopt children with “special needs”.
**My husband left us when J & K were one and almost two years old.
** I don’t think this is a race issue. I do think this is a behavior issue.
**Abandonment is an issue with adoption & divorce. My children have endured them both.
**I have been making phone calls and checked out the links given. So far nothing.
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers on this.
Tomorrow I take Kiahna in to the pediatrician for her evaluation. We have lots of forms filled out, and I am guessing we will be starting some medications tomorrow.
I have peace with that.
I purchased more herbs for Jadon. I had been using them and ran out, and you know how that goes. I am starting those up again with both of them. I am hoping that if Kiahna is calmer Jadon will then be calmer too. They really seem to feed off of each other.
Jadon also feeds off of people at school who have behavior things going on.
We tried medication 2 years ago with Jadon, and it wasn’t a real good experience. We may be trying it again. One step at a time.
Both of my children seem to be very impulsive. They both know they did wrong after they did it. They are great apologizers and prayers. They do it often. But, I am ready to see some better choices so that apologies are not necessary quite so often.
My expectations are high. I am having to adjust them. It’s a process that is taking time.
Many, many people who adopt, myself included, ignore the warnings given about this or that… after all… “that won’t happen to me”… and “I am adopting a healthy newborn”… and “my family is different & I have this or that support set up”.
Truth be told, NOTHING we do in life EVER ends up like we think it will… sometimes it’s better, sometimes it’s worse.
I admit this is harder than I ever imagined. The things that I think should work, often don’t. I feel like a bad parent often. I feel like people look at me (even if they aren’t) as not doing things the “right way” and therefore the behavior of my children is as it is. I feel humiliated in public when my children act like 2 year olds instead of 5 & 6 year olds. I feel helpless and unable to make a difference.
I really love the comment from the woman who said her neighbor has a son who is 7 and adopted him from birth & he has “issues”. I am so blessed that maybe my frustration has helped someone see that they can be a huge help to their neighbor! My guess when I heard about “neighbor” is that they are feeling like I often feel, like failures. Like they didn’t do something right. Like they didn’t “sign up for special needs”. I so hope that, like my commenter, others who see people in these positions will try to be positive influences in the lives of hurting children (and their hurting parents, even if they aren’t willing to say they are hurting) And that these parents seek and find the support system they need to be the parents they were called to be to their son.
It’s hard.
Don’t let anyone tell you differently.
Don’t convince yourself it’s different.
Admitting it’s hard and too much for you to handle is the first step in the right direction though.
So, lets see if we can’t get some support going on for post adoption like we see in pre adoption and foster care.
It’s vital.
Pam
5 comments:
well I hope things work out.
sometimes "people don't sign up" for all the problems that go along with birth children too. Its just the luck of the draw you get what you get and everything really depends upon God imo. We are humans and really have no control over how things turn out even though we think we do.
One thing that works for me is if my kids are bad in public I just don't take them. I get a babysitter or have someone help out so I can grocery shop alone etc...Sometimes I will take one of the bunch or 2 or whatever but certain kids do feed off of each other and its best to separate them sometimes so YOU can catch a break. I always had this dream that we would all go together as a family to church but when we do they act up. But if we take only a few at a time they are much better. So I know what you mean about adjusting your expectations and dreams to meet where your kids are at right now.
I hope things work out for you all. Take some time for yourself.
Saw your post on the yahoo board.
I was going to tell you to start your own but honestly (as a stranger trying not to offend) it sounds like you need more help then you'd be able to give in starting something. But don't stop searching. Check around every few weeks and see if anything has popped up. Check the kids schools to see if there are other adoptive parents you can just get together and talk with.
Haven't read all your comments so I don't know what has been suggested. But check with local churches too. We have a great support ministry at ours.
Just looked in an issue of Adoptive Families magazine and noticed a listing for www.saccc.com in your state. Not sure how close they are to you but it might be a place to start.
And a great speaker and author on these topics is Karyn Purvis. http://empoweredtoconnect.org/
There are lots of resources on there that you might find helpful.
Adoptive parenting is parenting plus. Sure biological kids and adoptive kids are all the same in so many ways but there is so much more, like the loss and attachment.
Wish I were local to you so I could at least be a listening ear. We're new at this with our daughter not quite two years old.
And you're right, just asking for help IS the first step. I hope you are able to find the help you need.
You have some really good thoughts here, Pam, and I could relate to several things...having high expectations as a parent, feeling like a bad parent when strategies don't work and especially when I feel like people are looking and judging. My kids lack impulse control and some of them feed off of each other. Back when I knew *everything* (before I had kids!), I would never had considered meds for my kids. Now I know that meds are sometimes the best option for them, and it doesn't matter if it doesn't feel like the ideal situation to me.
I didn't think that my kids would have abandonment issues because they didn't know their birth parents. Wrong. Some of my kids (who were all adopted at birth) tell stories about their time with their birthmoms, and truly believe those stories. I sit by and watch the feelings of abandonment eat away at my kids (one in particular) and I don't know what to do about it. I've tried many different things but nothing has worked.
I agree that post-adoption support is vital!
Then there is the 14-year old who acts like a rotten 5-year old in public on the bxb court. Ya, I have one of those. It sucks, but life goes on. I guess that was the point I was trying to make the other day....almost all of us have our quirks whether we are old, young, adopted or not, rich or poor...slow or smart...there are all kinds of behaviors that are exhibited and maybe, just maybe, some aren't worth making a big deal about. They'll go away on their own. And maybe some need help. But the problems can come and be the same for a child that was abandoned or not...adopted or not.... My thought it to focus on the behavior itself and not the "reason or excuse" for the behavior. I can find a million reason why my 14-year old is always in trouble and has a violent temper...or I can skip all the bs and just focus on teaching him ways to control himself. You are an over-whelmed busy lady. I support you...I'm just saying that maybe you don't have time to hash out the "whys" and just have time to work on finding the solutions before life passes you by. I wish you the best of luck. I'm quite sure you did not sign up to do this alone, but that's the way it worked out and I bet you'll still do a rockin' job at raising them all!
Even after having our 3 kids home from Ghana for over a year ... we would have NEVER imagined the CRISIS that would hit our family this past summer. Never, in our wildest nightmares, could we have imagined what our family would face this year. So. Not. Fun.
Support? Even in our CRISIS, the "adoption support ministry" at our own church, didn't want to get involved. So. Sad.
Praying that you find the support that you need. Soon. Very soon.
Hugs!
mama of 13
Post a Comment