Sunday, November 2, 2008

Friday*Football*Fun?

Remember when your mom used to tell you things like...it's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt... well... not really my mom... we were all girls in our house... and we didn't have the joy of boys (until we were older LOL!!)  and didn't get too rowdy or in too much physical danger...

Well, with two boys playing football... yeah.

Remember This Wordless Wednesday Post from awhile back?

Let me take you on another wordless journey...

DSC08205

DSC07366

DSC06881

Note the wheel chair

DSC08221

DSC08219

This time it's James.

This time it's not just a thumb.

This time it's a leg.

This time I know what Orthopedic Doctor to go to.

There were 2 minutes left in the game.  One of our players went down and didn't get up.  I saw he was kind of rolling around on the ground.  I saw the "8" then I saw the "1"... then about 2 hours past... and he finally got up.  Walking, with help, off the field. 

He sat on a bench with the team doctor and ice for the rest of the game.

We lost.

Then the doctor found me. 

He said it was a freak injury.  Not what he normally sees.  He didn't think it was broken, but James wasn't willing to put weight on it, so that was a concern.

We should go to the ER.

James' girlfriend Alisen was there with me.

My parents took home the kids that I was going to take home (none of mine).

Alisen and I waited for him to change and drove him to the ER.

He was being so goofy and silly.  I really thought that there was no way he had a broken bone. 

He did.

What happened was that he tackled someone, and then was on the ground.  Then someone else's helmet drilled the back of his left leg. 

He described it as feeling like "I got chazzed with a jack hammer".

I guess that the helmet hit hard enough to break the smaller bone in his leg. 

The Tibia.

I have to make him an appointment with the Ortho Doctor tomorrow.  I really don't know what happens next.

Coincidentally, I take Zach back into the Ortho Doctor for his thumb this week too.  Maybe I can do that at the same time?

Pam

7 comments:

Alicia said...

Crazy!!! Oh, you are getting way to familiar with the E.R. I hope he recovers soon! I'm so sorry!

Jennifer said...

Wow, woman! You are full of trips to the ER!! I love the new header you got going on!! I hope all is well soon and that bone heals fast!! I'll be praying!!

Mom24 said...

You're funny. There's no way they'll let you do that at the same time...that would be convenient! I hope they give you a break and let you do it.

I'm so sorry he was hurt. That's awful. I can't believe he's still smiling in the hospital pic.

He's really serious about his girlfriend, isn't he? They're very cute.

I can imagine it seemed like 2 hours. Poor boy. Poor you. Good luck tomorrow. I hope Zach is better and James heals really quickly.

He & Me + 3 said...

Never a dull moment! I love the new header too!

Laurel said...

Brings back memories of an ER visit with our football player a few years ago. Broken nose that needed surgery to implant rod to straighten nose. Yuck!

ER visit was sooo... long, because nose was least of the football injuries that night. While we were there, 3 different high school guys from 3 different games were airlifted to our hospital because of head injuries. So, we were actually quite thankful that we just had a broken nose.

Hope he's up and running again soon.

Laurel

Pam said...

Yeah, Stacey, he is a little serious about this girl... she is sure a nice enough girl. Smart girl. (she likes my son, of course she is smart!!) no, but real smart. So hopefully she continues to be REAL SMART... it is scary, I've experienced so much hurt from my HSSH... praying purity over them... and communicating MUCH with her mom, which is a great thing.

Kateri said...

I'm not ready for broken bones!! How do you do it? I guess you are on a first name basis with the staff at the ER by now :)
God bless you, woman!
Kateri