Saturday, June 14, 2008

VBS…VIRUS…SPF…ER

Curious???  This should be a long, interesting one…

Last night we finished 2 weeks of VBS (Vacation Bible School).  Yes, 2 weeks.  It’s long, but it is fun!  Always tiring and always good!  Six other teachers and I had 35 8th graders for their final year of VBS. 

Last weekend my computer started popping up, first these messages telling me that my computer was not protected from viruses.  Then telling me that it had run a scan and we had 398 viruses on our computer.  In order to remove these viruses I needed to pay $49.99. 

My computer normally warns me when my subscription for virus protection is about to expire.  I hadn't noticed any of them come up. 

This would not leave me alone.  Each time I used the computer I was reminded over and over by their pop ups that I was in danger of losing files, etc. 

Then, I was sitting at the computer doing some searching with my kids for some fun things that we could do this weekend.  I typed in “Indiana water parks” and PORN flashed on my screen multiple times, but only for a second each time!!!  I SCREAMED!!  Sent the kids away from the computer!!  Shut it down!!  And took it to the repair shop!!

For $40 they cleaned up my computer.  They informed me that it was a scam that is being run, telling people that they have all these fake viruses and need to pay all this money to have them removed.  The porn evidently was also a nice little virus.

So, that left me without a computer for the week!  It wasn’t all that bad of a thing to happen to me!!  With VBS and SUMMER in full force, we went swimming a couple of days and got our first (second if you count Spring Break) of the year!

Jadon… I LOVE these life jackets from Land's End.  They look like they are now in the overstocks!  I hope that they keep making these.  They zip in the back, and my little acrobats have not gotten out of them yet!!  YIPPEE!!  Much more relaxing to go to the lake and swim with these on them!

DSC03626

Kiahna following Leah.. now Kiahna won’t swim, because she scared, but IF she falls in she is safe in her wonderful life vest from Land’s End!

DSC03644

Lucas and Leah playing KING OF THE RAFT with Kim’s kids!

DSC03630

So, I guess we are to the part about the ER…

Friday afternoon, 2 pm, NAP TIME!!!  I can’t find Kiahna.  In not much time I locate her.  In the van.  Doors locked.  I go get the keys and unlock it.  Only to find her with the contents of my purse all over, she’s sitting in a puddle of pee, on my drivers seat, with the contents of my purse joining her… then I see that she has opened the bottle of Jadon’s  ADHD medication and there are pills laying around her.

Can you say PANIC???

I asked her if she took some.  She said, “yes”. 

How many to a 3 year old who has not yet grasped the concept of time is pointless!!

I called poison control (who’s number I actually put in my day planner after Jadon drank a bottle of children’s ibuprofen last winter!)  FYI:  You don’t have to take them to the ER for drinking a bottle of children’s Motrin, but you get a decidedly different reaction when you say your child may or may not have eaten an undetermined number of her brother’s Focalin!!

She seemed okay.  So, I drove her to the ER myself.  I took Lucas along, so he could drive if Kiahna began to seizure in the van, so he could help Kiahna if she began to seizure, so he could keep us company.  I was panicked!  I don’t know why I made him come along!!

When we got to the ER, Poison control had already filled them in on what she had taken and the steps to take.

She had to drink a 10 oz cup of charcoal, mixed with chocolate milk!!  The first sip from the cup that the nurse had it in (which was full to the top and Styrofoam) it went on her shirt.  As I wiped it off with my hand, she informed me not to do that, it wouldn’t come off!    Nice… An hour later, 6 wash clothes later, a teaspoon at a time from the “smaller cup” I asked the nurse for (which was a medicine cup)… she got it down…. and her shirt looked like this…

DSC03681

Because clothes are cheap, and I only have six children to clothe! BLAH!

Next came the news that Kiahna’s pediatrician had been called… cringe… and she wanted them to keep Kiahna over night for observation.

They needed to put in an IV… just in case…

They asked Lucas and I to leave the room, and we listened while they wrapped her in a blanket and inserted the IV into her right hand (NOT THE ONE SHE SUCKS!!) 

And after they gave her back to me… she screamed and fought and tried to get the IV out for the next hour!!!  Until she finally fell asleep.

It had been 3 hours… An hour of waiting, an hour of feeding her charcoal and an hour of wrestling her while listening to her scream!

She finally fell asleep!  PRAISE GOD!!!  And I began to try to process what needed to be done with the 4 other kids, the one I had with me, and the VBS program that I was supposed to be at in 1 1/2 hours.

Mom said she’d come stay at the hospital.  I hated for her to miss seeing the kids sing.  My sister called my aunt and she ended up coming to stay with her.  I was very concerned that Kiahna would wake up and be in the same mood (or worse because I wasn’t there!) as she was in when she went to sleep.

It didn’t end up that she was.  She was curious and calm when she woke up and and had fun figuring out how to run the bed, the TV, and how to call the nurse.

The program ended and I rushed out.  Mom and Dad took the other 4 kids home with them.  Mommy guilt began trying to rush in… battle, battle, battle…

Here she is in her bed… Queen Kiahna…

DSC03679

DSC03676

It was some punishment… after she woke up from her nap things were good… she had mommy all to herself… she got to be the center of attention… what is wrong with this picture??

The white thing is the IV… she didn’t ever need it… PRAISE GOD!… but she continued to try to get it out herself when she thought I wasn't looking.

It turned out that she is fine.  I am very thankful.  But, after I knew she was fine, then it all just became annoying!  We couldn't leave!  Not until the DR dismissed us!

I slept with her in the hospital bed.  She was wearing a monitor that came unhooked and beeped like an alarm clock each time she moved.  Picture me in the middle of the night every 15-30-60 minutes waking up, rehooking her cords, falling back asleep, only to be awakened again very soon... add the routine nurse visits... the fact that MORNING comes at the hospital BEFORE the night shift leaves... at 6:10 this morning Kiahna NEEDED to have her blood pressure taken, her temperature taken, be weighed, oh and she peed the bed so she also needed to have her bedding changed... GOOD MORNING!!

As other human beings in the outside world began to awaken... my two boys needed to get to the ball diamonds for team pictures... turned out I had Zach's uniform in my van in the hospital parking lot...  a whole bunch of frustration and stress later... and about 20 cell phone calls... the DR came and released us and we got home in time to get Zach his uniform and they all lived happily ever after... yeah... sure....

The Dr told me that there has been a study done on Ivy League grads and 2 year olds... which can open a child proof prescription bottle fastest.... oh, you know it is the 2 year olds!!

Of course I have now flushed all the Focalin.  We weren't even using it anymore, I guess I was just keeping it "just in case".  But, she can also open a child proof bottle of Ibuprofen... so what is a mom to do?  LOCK HER PURSE???  I KNOW I WILL LOCK MY VAN when it is in my garage!  PRAY FOR DIVINE PROTECTION OF HER CHILD!!!

So, that's my weekend.

Tomorrow I am hoping to take the kids to the Indianapolis Zoo...  Hoping it will be a nice distraction for us all... I know at least I will come back with more material to blog about!!  LOL!!!

No comments: