Well, I did it.
I moved my oldest son to college 2 1/2 hours away from home.
By Friday afternoon, he had everything packed up & ready to put into the trailer we borrowed to haul all three of their things to the campus.
We wanted it all packed up before the football game on Friday night.
This is what Zach did during the football game.
Even though we won big, he didn’t get any playing time… MONDAY is the first JV game!
Early Saturday morning, James & I, Alex & Andrea (Tim’s mom) headed out for campus. (Tim went a week before for cross country camp)
The Dorm:
We were met in the parking lot by a swarm of upper classmen who carried all of the boy’s items to their 2nd floor room…
These were hanging outside their room.
Tim & a pretty empty room awaited us…
We had carpet to lay so they lined all their belongings down the hall…
Wonder how long that power-aid will last them!?
Laying the carpet…
Figuring out that none of them were engineering majors, as they try to figure out how to arrange the furniture!
One of their highly intelligent mothers (ahem) came up with the idea that finally worked! (not my idea to put that desk there!!
Furniture arranged, It’s time to bring in the “stuff”
But, maybe we need a break first…
Unpacking it all…
Alex’s sisters “helping”
Done!!! Trying out their lofts…
And their desks…
The room is all done…
Time to relax before the family picnic… (all the rest of the family arrives)
Checking out James’ loft…
Tim’s mom, Andrea, relaxing…
A Bethel cheerleader?
Playing with my camera (aka, why my battery died before the end of the day)
Walking around campus…
This is what the fountain says… The college motto…
The back of their dorm… Sand Volleyball courts…
Their room is the 2nd floor on the end close to us in this photo…
The view from their room… it's hard to see, but there is a bridge & a waterfall in those rocks… beautiful…
Family picnic time…
525 incoming freshmen & their families…
Sitting around eating…(making me a face with bbq all over his teeth!!)
Waiting for the next event…(& my battery dies)
After the picnic they called the students to go into their blocks. 12 different small group blocks that will be spending lots of time together in the coming semester.
And the families went into the auditorium, where they made us cry. Talking about our students & encouraging us in the coming days with how to encourage them.
Then we went back out and met with the other families who were in our student’s block & met the teachers that will be teaching the 2 classes the block has together.
The teacher’s gave us all (and our students before us) a marble. We were to hold the marble and the marble stood for us & our hands stood for God. They wanted us to keep it with us to remind us to pray for our student.
Then we went back out side and the students all were in their blocks standing around the reflection pond…
We stood with our students while we recited a pledge that they passed out to us. “A Declaration of our Commitments”
Then we sang a song…
Take My Life, and Let it Be
Take my life & let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love,
At the impulse of thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee;
Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only for my king,
Always, only for my king.
Take my love, my God, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store;
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.
And, then I started to cry.
One of those cries where you feel like the dam is going to burst & things are going to get ugly felt like it was coming on… I was trying to hold it in…
The song ended, whew.
And then they said, “now parents put your hand on your student, and I am going to pray with you”
I did, James dad (yes, he showed up), and my parents all did.
They began to pray, and my peace flooded back in… I no longer felt like I was going to lose control & bawl. It was amazing. It was an amazing prayer.
When the prayer ended, they said, “you have 5 minutes to say goodbye & students you are report to the auditorium in 10 minutes”
We all hugged & I cried a little more.
We walked back to our vehicle.
The other 5 kids started arguing about who was sitting where.
Dad found James’ ipod in his vehicle & I had to call security to let me back into the building so I could slide it under the door…
Life moves forward…
Pam
9 comments:
Oh wow. I'm going to hold fast to the next two years that i have with my daughter before she heads off to college. I was all teary eyed just thinking of the new journey for both you (and the kiddos still home) and your son. Prayers and blessings to you all.
Life moves forward indeed. Hugs my friend.
Sounds like a really neat campus, praying for the best for them and for you. Hugs!
Pam,
I found your blog awhile ago and then lost all of my bookmarks so it's taken me awhile to find you again! I love this post about your son. I recognize the campus in your pictures because it is less than 10 minutes from my house! Bethel is a wonderful place and I have heard nothing but great things about it.
I am experience some similar emotions as my oldest starts kindergarten tomorrow! Not quite the same thing, but right now it feels very heavy on my heart.
If your son ever needs anything, please feel free to reach out to me. I know I am a stranger, but I am a mom and I can only imagine how it feels to send your oldest off to college. Many blessings to you.
Beth D.
ekdoster@gmail.com
It sounds like the most amazing experience. I am so glad James' dad was there to be a part of it all. It seems he's been there a lot this last year. Wish I could say the same for my boys. There dad is just up the street and they never see each other. Sounds like a wonderful college. I'm glad this new journey ended peachefully for you.
I saw the pictures on facebook...but the words in the post made me cry. I am so glad you had peace during the prayer and I hope that this year is the best year for everyone one in the family. New journeys for everyone too.
wow, Pam...that is such a wonderful way to leave your loved ones at college, what an amazing day...and so emotional for sure! Sounds like such an awesome place, and so fun to be with his good friends!
It just about made me cry too ;) Looks like a beautiful campus, and a great way to be reminded by who's in charge with the marble and to pray for him so often! Take care...so happy for the peace in your heart!
Wow! Thanks for sharing, Pam. What a momentous occasion and I think you handled it beautifully. Bethel sounds like just the right place for James. I love the "Christ at the Helm." motto. Reading that gave me peace for you.
I feel like I am going through a lot just putting Austin into high school. I can relate to some of your feelings, but certainly not all.
I'm not sure when we'll be back in Indiana, but I would love to have coffee with you. It seems now we are highly geared toward starting school on September 7th. I will be homeschooling the other 4 and doing part time chiropractic. Busy, busy, busy...
WOW, tuff read. I dont know how Im going to make it when Taylor leaves for college.
What a great way to be able to do it though. I mean with all they had you do with him and the prayers and songs. That is AWESOME!!! I can only pray Taylor goes to a college like that.
Love and Prayers,
Tim
Post a Comment